
BUTEBO- Councillors in the newly created Butebo District have faulted the Ministry of Local government and the Electoral Commission (EC) for failing to conduct elections for the LC5 seat, leaving the district to operate for the last eight months without the district executive committee.
Mr Erisam Dongo, the Kaginima Sub-county councillor, said whereas the district, which was annexed from Pallisa District, became operational on July 1, 2017, most of the councillors in the district had been elected under Pallisa and have never been sworn in so that they begin paying allegiance to Butebo.
Mr Dongo said this implies that they are at the district illegally, adding that failure to choose new leaders for the district has paralyzed the implementation of government programmes.
“We pray that the President and the minister for Local Government expedite the process of elections. This business of causing delays will greatly affect government programmes,” he said.
“The essence of creating the district is becoming hopeless because even the few existing jobs have been taken by outsiders but nevertheless, we shall not get tired until people’s views have been addressed. We are going to notify the police and the RDC over the meeting which is scheduled for this Thursday before we can proceed to meet the President,” he added. The meeting will be attended by LC3 chairpersons, opinion leaders, councilors and NRM chairpersons.
Councilors had planned to hold a consultative meeting over the matter but police blocked it, arguing that the councillors had planned to a violent demonstration.