
Security Minister Lt. Gen. Henry Tumukunde has apologised to the country following the kidnap and killing of Ms Suzan Magara as security agencies looked on haplessly.
Not even the intervention of President Museveni could save the situation as kidnappers held the late Magara’s family at ransom, collected Shs700 million, and later killed and dumped her in Kampala.
Gen. Tumukunde, who represented President Museveni during the burial on Thursday admitted the security agencies could have done better to save the life of the youthful Ms Magara, but said the kidnappers had been a bit sophisticated for the joint security teams from the police, the internal security and the army.
Gen. Tumukunde later posted on his Facebook page: “On my own behalf, the government and on behalf of the President of Uganda; we plead guilty in this particular case because security could have saved the life of Suzan,” he said.
“The family of Magara agreed with security agencies to work closely in the investigations but at some point the family asked security to withdraw for fear that the kidnappers may kill her. The security agencies collaborated in intelligence gathering, tracking suspects and sharing clues but they were unable to apprehend the suspects.

Gen. Tumukunde warned that some drastic security measures would be taken to arrest the deteriorating levels of crime in the country.
“The death of Suzan will signal fundamental changes in Uganda. Watch the space!” he said.
Ms Magara was buried at her family home in Hoima on Thursday.