
KAMPALA – The Ministry of Health has confirmed 6 Covid-19 cases after 3451 cases were analyzed on Tuesday, July 7. This means Uganda’s cumulative confirmed cases is now 977.
Of the 6 confirmed cases, four are truck drivers who arrived from Kenya via Malaba point of entry while two are community infections from Tororo and Moyo Districts.
Dr. Henry Mwebesa, the Director-General Service at the Ministry of Health says nineteen foreign truck drivers including 16 Kenyans and two Tanzanians and one Congolese tested positive for coronavirus at borders points and their entry into Uganda was not permitted.
The Ministry of Health says there are 210 active cases on admission; 189 are Ugandans, 18 foreign nationals, and 3 refugees.
To date, Uganda has registered a total of 904 recoveries. He says that although non-nationals are not captured on the national cumulative tally, they are reflected on the recoveries list.
Meanwhile, More than 3,000 refugees from the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) arrived in Uganda between Wednesday and Friday last week (1 – 3 July) during a temporary opening of two border crossing points at Golajo and Mount Zeu, north-western Uganda.
The new arrivals were previously part of a larger group of approximately 45,000 people, according to local DRC authorities, who had attempted to flee towards the Ugandan border with the DRC shortly after deadly clashes erupted between armed militia groups in Ituri province on 17 and 18 May. While some have been able to return to their areas of origin, others had remained close to the border, unable to cross for more than a month due to closure of borders on the Uganda side to contain the spread of COVID-19.